Does unsweetened almond milk in coffee break a fast? Technically, adding almost anything to your coffee will break your fasted state; however, if you are following a less strict version, you can enjoy a splash of unsweetened almond milk. Below we’ll go over the ins and outs of having unsweetened almond milk during a fast in more detail.
Does Unsweetened Almond Milk In Coffee Break A Fast?
As mentioned above, technically, yes, adding unsweetened almond milk to your black coffee will break your fast. Adding almost anything to your coffee breaks a fast (keep reading for a list of things you can add below.) However, if you are not being super strict with your fasting, adding a dash of unsweetened almond milk is the best choice when it comes to kinds of milk.
Compared to some of the more popular milks like oat milk, coconut milk, soy and rice milk, almond milk is the lowest in calories. Adding a splash of almond milk, if you absolutely need to add something to your coffee, is the ideal choice while fasting. A cup of unsweetened almond milk is low in carbs and calories and can be used if you are following a less strict fasting schedule.
The general rule of thumb is that you want to keep your calorie intake below 50 calories. This is the best way to ensure staying in a fasting state and reaping the fasting benefits.
Calories Per Cup For Different Milks
- Whole milk: 150 kcal
- Almond milk: 30 kcal
- Coconut milk: 45 kcal
- Soy milk: 80 kcal
- Cashew milk: 25 kcal
- Oat milk: 130 kcal
- Rice milk: 90 kcal
Things You Can Add to Your Coffee That Won’t Break a Fast
You can add any of the following to your morning cup of coffee and won’t break your fasting state. This is a great way to add some flavor to your morning coffee without ruining your fasting window. Just remember to only add a little bit, just a dash, of any of the following:
- Cocoa powder
- Low-calorie sweeteners like Splenda
What Can You Drink While Following an Intermittent Fasting Plan?
- Mineral Water: This is a great choice to have on hand while fasting to avoid dehydration. It also helps prevent any negative side effects during a fast. Mineral water will help you restore your electrolytes.
- Coffee: Coffee will help suppress your appetite and make it easier to make it through your fasted state. It may also help with fat burning and reduce insulin sensitivity.
- Tea: When drinking tea during a fasting period, choose pure herbal teas such as green, peppermint, chamomile, black, etc. Avoid drinking teas that are packaged with added sugars.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: ACV will help lower blood sugar levels and really help improve your digestion. Dilute 1-2 tbsp in water or try ACV gummies.
Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
- May help reach a weight loss goal
- May balance hormones
- May reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes
- May improve heart health and brain health
- May slower aging process
- May prevent cancer
- May improve sleep
- May increase energy levels
- May decrease inflammation
- May promote healthy brain function
Unsweetened Almond Milk in Coffee While Fasting
The good news, coffee lovers, is that you can enjoy a small amount of unsweetened almond milk with your coffee while fasting! If you are following a super strict intermittent fasting method, you may want to avoid the splash of almond milk but if you are doing more open fasting, it is okay to have a splash. Fasting can be super beneficial to your health long term you just have to pay attention to what you consume during the fasting hours. As always, if you have any questions or health concerns, contact your healthcare provider to avoid any negative side effects from occurring.
Other Posts You May Like:
Hi, I’m Jessica! I am wife to Chris, and mom to Kaiper, Alana and Koa. I am a graphic designer, website developer and aspiring author. In this space, I share about everything from parenting, working from home, food we cook, and lots of things for kids! Learn more about me here.