It’s me, I’m mom. I made this fruit salad recipe when I was trying to get my kids’ sweet cravings under control in a healthier way. They loved it so much they named it, “Mom’s Famous Fruit Salad”! I guess that means it is kid approved. The simple ingredients in the honey lime dressing make it mom-approved too!
Why We Love This Fruit Salad Recipe
There are several reasons why I love this fruit salad recipe:
Easy to Customize to Fruits You Have on Hand
If you have fruit that will be getting too ripe soon and you’re looking for a creative way to use it up, throwing it into a fruit salad is a great way to reduce waste and create new variations of this fruit salad recipe. If you don’t like some of the fruits in this recipe, you can easily swap them out for your favorite fruits too! Some people like to add banana (but I don’t like to because it easily turns brown and mushy). I do like to add mangos when I have them!
The honey lime dressing used in this fruit salad is simple and healthy.
Honey is basically a pantry staple that we always have on hand, and I’m guessing you probably do too. Combining honey and lime and using the lime zest, makes a simple yet tasty dressing that curbs sweet cravings while making a healthy dressing. Win, win!
My kids love to have this fruit salad in their school lunches.
My kids always request this in their lunch boxes. I typically make a big batch on Sundays and then use it throughout the week in lunchboxes and as after school snacks. They even add some to their breakfast some mornings!
The ingredients don’t have to be exact.
So you don’t have a full 16oz of strawberries, so what? Have extra blueberries? Throw those in! Use what you have and adjust the dressing as needed!
Mom’s Famous Fruit Salad (With Honey Lime Dressing)
- 16 oz fresh strawberries If the strawberries are small to medium size, just quarter them. If they are large you may need to chop more to make bit size pieces.
- 1 pineapple chopped
- 12 oz fresh blueberries
- 12 oz red grapes sliced into halves
- 4 kiwis peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 3 mandarin oranges peeled and separated into pieces
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 lime (will use this for juice & zest, see instructions)
- Add all the fruit to a large mixing bowl.
- Add honey.
- Add the zest from the lime to the bowl.
- Slice the lime in half and squeeze the juice of half the lime into the bowl (add more to taste).
- Mix well.
- Serve & enjoy!
- Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- If you want to prep this in advance, you can chop the fruit ahead of time and make the dressing and kept separate and chilled, then let the dressing get to room temp and toss together just before serving.
Other Posts You May Like:
Vegan Broccoli & Blueberry Salad
Hi, I’m Jessica! I am wife to Chris, and mom to Kaiper, Alana and Koa. I am a graphic designer, website developer and aspiring author. In this space, I share about everything from parenting, working from home, food we cook, and lots of things for kids! Learn more about me here.