Less than two hours after making this Butternut Squash Ricotta Flatbread recipe for the first time, I’m sitting at my laptop eager to publish it. It’s that good.
This recipe was inspired one of my current favorite things in the world to eat: the Roasted Squash & Ricotta Panini from True Food Kitchen. We order it with the almond ricotta.
This recipe is so easy, and so delicious, it’s a must try! You can make it vegetarian with regular ricotta cheese, or make it vegan using a vegan flatbread and vegan almond ricotta.
Get my vegan ricotta cheese recipe here.
I actually sat down at the table, took one bite, and said, “This would be better with a tiny drizzle of honey.” I got back up and added it, and bam, it tied the whole thing together. The combination of crushed red pepper, almond ricotta and the smallest touch of honey is mouthwateringly tasty.
We used pickled red onions that I make and keep on hand, but if you don’t have any handy you can also use sautéed onions, something to give it that little kick.
Roasted Butternut Squash & Ricotta Flatbread (Vegan Optional)
- 4 Flatbreads of choice (personal size, so each flatbread feeds 1 person)
- 6-8 ounces Ricotta (We use almond ricotta to make this a vegan recipe)
- Pickled Red Onions (to taste)
- Crushed Red Peppers (to taste)
- Garlic Powder (to taste)
- Honey (small drizzle, to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut butternut squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and peel/slice the skin off.
- Cut into semi-thin slices.
- Toss in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, salt and pepper and roast for 5-6 minutes, or until slightly tender. You do not want to overcook. Slightly undercooked is best, as these will go back into the oven on the flatbreads. Remove from pan and set aside in a separate dish (so they don't continue to cook on the hot pan).
- Turn up the heat on your oven to 425. If you have a pizza stone, preheat it for at least 20 minutes. If you don't, you can place flatbreads right on to your oven rack to get them crispy.
- Lightly brush flatbreads with olive oil, and precook for 2-3 minutes on pizza stone or oven rack. (We use a pizza stone, so I had to do this one at a time, because only one would fit.)
- Take out of the oven (you can lay on a cutting board or flat surface), spread ricotta on. This can be to taste/preference. You don't want too thick of a layer, as it's thick and creamy and can also weigh down your crust.
- Layer on butternut squash, pickled red onions, a dash of garlic power, and crushed red peppers to taste.
- Return to oven and bake until flatbread is browned and crisp.
- Remove from oven and very lightly drizzle with honey. (I find it's easiest to put a small amount on the end of a spoon and wave the spoon back and forth over the flatbread.)
- Cut and enjoy!
If you like this post, you make also like:
Carrot Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
Hi, I’m Jessica! I am wife to Chris, and mom to Kaiper, Alana and Koa. I am a graphic designer, website developer and aspiring author. In this space, I share about everything from parenting, working from home, food we cook, and lots of things for kids! Learn more about me here.