I received this product for free from Moms Meet (momsmeet.com) to use and post my honest opinions. Compensation for this post was provided and this page may contain affiliate links.
This red bean hummus recipe using authentic European Extra Virgin Olive Oil, is so easy and delicious that it will surely become a family staple in your household. Now, we live in Florida so I cannot attest to true “cold weather”. However, we have been getting what feels like cold to us lately, and this red bean hummus accompanied by warm pita really hits the spot on a cold day.
The secret ingredient? Olitalia Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
I’ll admit, I had been cooking for a long time when I finally learned about Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I was used to drizzling it in my pans because a recipe told me to, but I didn’t really know exactly what it was. Once I started reading about it, I was amazed! Before we jump into the red bean hummus recipe, I’ll share what I have learned with you!
About European Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Olive oil comes from the adrupe fruit of the European olive plant.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil has an acid level lower than 0.8%. This means it’s basically free of acidity.
- The Extra Virgin designation requires texting for peroxide values. The lower the value, the fresher the oil.
- The testing is performed by expert tasters who must give the oil their approval that it meets the high standards of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil designation.
- Olive oil has a high smoke point, allowing it to handle any type of cooking from a light sauté, baking, to a deep fry.
About European Extra Virgin Oil Specifically
The olive tree, or Olea Europaea, is found in the Mediterranean Basin from Portugal to the Levant, the Arabian Peninsula, and southern Asia as far east as China, as well as the Canary Islands and Réunion. It is beloved in Europe and produces the most delicious yields of fruit for olive oil.
The taste of the olive oil depends on the type of olive tree, the region it’s in, and the time of harvest. Europe provides a huge variety, which allows you to keep a wide array of oil flavors in your pantry at home.
- Oils harvested early in the season: oils that are greener, more bitter and pungent
- Oils harvested at the end of season: tend to taste mild and buttery
- Spanish oil: golden yellow with a fruity, nutty flavor
- Italian olive oil: dark green with an herbal aroma and a grassy flavor
- Greek olive oil: strong flavor and aroma, tends to be green
- French oil: typically pale in color and has a mild flavor
Now that you’ve got the inside scoop on where extra virgin olive oil comes from, let’s get to the yummy part: the red bean hummus recipe!
Red Bean Hummus is great paired with warm pita and a side of fresh avocado and tomato salad.
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Eggplant
- 15 oz can of Red Kidney Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin (powder)
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Juice of 1 small Lemon
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place the eggplant on a baking tray and roast for 40 minutes, or until soft.
- Once the eggplant is fully cooked, remove the skin.
- Place the roasted eggplant and the rest of the ingredients, except the extra virgin olive oil, into a food processor.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Slowly add in the extra virgin olive oil until it becomes a smooth dipping consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into a deep serving bowl and finish with a swirl of extra virgin olive oil.
This is a great appetizer for colder weather. For a healthy light meal, serve with whole grain pita bread and a tomato and avocado salad.
- Chicken Shawarma Drumsticks with Marinated Veggies
- My grandmother’s prune cake recipe
- Best (and easiest) banana bread recipe ever
- A “clean eating” version of Sloppy Joes
Hi, I’m Jessica! I am wife to Chris, and mom to Kaiper, Alana and our silver lab pup, Maui. We are expecting baby #3 right now, and excited to become a family of 5! I am a freelance website & blog developer, Co-Founder of Moxie Girl Fit Club, and aspiring author. I share about everything from parenting, how to make money from home, tutorials for my fellow bloggers, fitness and being a new homeschool family. Learn more about me here.